Sign up to buy. It is important to provide as much information as you can and that it be as accurate as possible. Missing business information or incorrect details will delay verification and may result in delays to your orders.
PBP is a wholesale marketplace that makes buying products from creative manufacturers and handmade producers around the world easy and frictionless.
We represent an opportunity to source differently by offering:
- an ever growing selection of handmade, authentic and small-batch manufactured products: to read more about these products and the people that produce them, please read our report;
- access to makers worldwide, where a maker is defined as an artist, artisan producer, designer, design studio, and/or brand;
- a one-stop solution from discovery to delivery;
- product customization to build exclusive products and collections for your brand;
- buyer friendly terms, including low minimum order quantities (MOQs); and
- secure and flexible payment terms of up to 60 days from shipment.
We welcome buyers, designers and trade representatives who:
- are US-based (soon also Canadian, European, and Asian);
- have an established online or bricks-and-mortar store open and ready for business; and
- hold a valid reseller ID (also known as a sales tax identification, reseller permit, or resale certificate) or equivalent document (i.e. trade certificate).
Our selection process is based on first-hand experience with makers as well as credible and legitimate referrals from a strong global network of organizations (including crafts councils, export promotion agencies, handmade sector associations, NGOs and development agencies) interacting directly with makers. We have been building relationships in the creative manufacturing and handmade sector for several decades.
When we meet a new maker they undergo a due diligence process during which we assess their ability to produce with high quality and deliver on time. All PBP maker partners self report that they are compliant with the following three policies:
- no children under the age of 16 are involved in the production process;
- appropriate standards are put in place to ensure artisan safety; and
- artisans are paid a living wage.
As part of our due diligence, makers confirm their commitment to one or more of our six core values:
- heritage craft preservation;
- eco-friendly materials;
- product innovation; and
- sustainable processes
Step 1: You discover a maker on the PBP marketplace and add items to your order. The system will check for the maker's minimum order values (MOV). Once the minimum has been reached an order is sent to the maker. If the maker(s) offer product customization you can include requests and instructions in the draft order. Please read the maker product page to see if the desired product can be customized. Here you can also see if the maker accepts sample orders.
Step 2: PBP will confirm your order with the maker within 72 hours along with any special requests and lead times.
Step 3: Once you have confirmed the order details, including your payment details, the order is final.
If you have exhausted your credit limit or are not signed up for FlexPay™ we automatically charge your default method of payment at this time. Many makers will need an advance in order to start production and PBP offers this at a 5% fee. We encourage buyers to cover this 5% fee - we call it a social responsibility fee - and it enables makers to receive the 50% production advance and the remaining 50% of the order value upon shipping. This schedule is in accordance with payment best practices for the creative manufacturing and handmade sector. You as the buyer however still only pay 60 days from the time of shipment: for more information please see below under section ‘How do I pay for my order?’
Step 4: The maker(s) begins production and once the order is ready to be fulfilled, you will receive a confirmation email prior to shipment.
Step 5: Upon shipment, you will receive a tracking number and an invoice for the order, if your order is eligible for FlexPay™.
Step 6: Prior to the invoice due date, login to your account to pay securely or you will automatically be debited 60 days from shipment.
We currently operate in the US and focus on sales in that territory. We are working to grow our marketplace to cover Canada and Europe in the near future and thank you for your patience.
We are not able to provide returns (shipping costs make this prohibitive) but we do offer reimbursement of your order value (minus shipping) if the final product does not match the sample provided*.
If you have any problems with your order, contact the maker directly as each one will have their own policies for returns and refunds.
*Handcrafted items will always have a degree of variance compared to factory-made products so please make sure to read the disclaimers carefully on the product page or in your custom order quotation as Restocking and Warehouse fees may apply.
Once an order is final it cannot be cancelled.
- Refunds. PBP does not offer returns on final orders placed with makers and only offers refunds under certain limited circumstances as described below.
- Shipping damage: If a buyer receives a product that was damaged in shipping please take the following steps:
- Take a video/pictures of the shipment box while unboxing.
- Send images to the shipping company as they will be the entity covering the cost or replacement or refund.
- Keep PBP notified and copied on correspondence.
- Check with the shipping company in question to make sure you follow their procedure as they will be issuing the refund.
- Significant delays: Buyers should expect orders within a two week window and accept orders up to a month. For delays over a month we encourage buyers to negotiate a discount before cancelling the order altogether.
- Insufficient quality and missing items: In any of these cases buyers must report the issue within 10 days of receiving the product. If a buyer does not report the issue within this time period, the product shall be considered delivered and satisfactory. To report any issue with the order delivered, we would need proof to suitably address your concerns. We therefore request that you take the following steps to ensure that we can provide the fastest, most satisfactory resolution:
- If there is any discrepancy between the sample and the product delivered, we request you to share the image of the product and sample side-by-side and articulate your specific issue.
- Please share a clear picture/video from different angles of any defect that you may notice on the product.
We always remind our buyers that handcrafted items will always have a degree of variance compared to factory-made products so please ensure you have read the disclaimers carefully on the product page or in your custom order quotation.
The date that you pay for an order may differ depending on your account type:
If you are eligible for net 60 terms, your default method of payment will be charged 60 days after shipment. Your credit limit is based on what you were pre-approved for when first registering on the platform. Anything you buy above this credit limit will be charged when the order is confirmed. If you would like to have this limit increased please request to “Increase my limit” by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Or select the Increase limit within the My Account page on the PBP marketplace site.
Payment on Order Confirmation
If you are not eligible for a credit, your default method of payment will be automatically charged once the order has been confirmed.
Social Responsibility Payment
We offer makers a 50% production advance upon confirmation of the order to help them start production and manage their cash flow. If you choose the social responsibility payment option, PBP will provide the maker a 50% production advance and the remaining 50% of the payment upon confirmation of shipment on your behalf, and add a 5% fee to your final invoice. Additional financial review may be required for PBP approval.
PBP has engaged third-party, licensed service providers to perform many of the services related to payments, including card processing, disbursements, currency exchange, identity verification, fraud analysis, and regulatory compliance. If there are insufficient funds in your bank account when our provider processes the payment, PBP reserves the right to contact you directly and seek payment. By using a third-party service, you may also be subject to an agreement with the third party.
Lead times vary depending on the maker, product category and order size:
- Shipments from the US will arrive within in 2 weeks
- Ready-to-ship products will ship from the country of origin and will be received within 2-4 weeks
- Made-to-order products will ship from the country of origin and will be received within 6-12 weeks, not including sampling lead times.
Average lead times are visible at the top of each product page. Once the maker accepts your order, the expected shipping date will be updated under ‘Pending Orders’ within the ‘My Account’ tab.
You can make a special request or custom inquiry using the notes section under the order. Orders can be split between shipments to different addresses. You will need to cover shipping expenses for every shipment to a unique address. Each order needs to meet the minimum order value (MOV) specified for each maker set to optimize international shipping rates.
Forgot your password to PBP marketplace? Simply follow these steps:
Desktop: Click the 'My Account' icon in top right corner of the Homepage;
Mobile: Click Menu icon in the top left of Navigation and then the 'My Account' icon at the bottom of the menu
- Click the ‘Forgot Password’ link
- Receive an automated customer account password reset email from PoweredbyPeople to help you reset your password. Make sure to also check your spam just in case!
Absolutely! With PBP’s concierge service (see below) you can share your designs, mood boards, sketches, photographs, budgets and specifications with us. We will in turn share these with respective makers to develop and design products according to your vision. Please note that sampling and shipping fees will be applied and that these orders are subject to higher minimum order quantities (MOQs) and sampling fees, with no returns.